What you'll learn in this article
This guide helps you configure a BambooHR user with the necessary Access Level for the TravelPerk integration.
Integrating BambooHR with TravelPerk
To integrate BambooHR with TravelPerk and import employees automatically from it, you will need to have an account in BambooHR which has the right level of access to the fields you want to use.
To do this, you may have to:
- Configure a new Access Level
- Enable the Company Directory access to that level
- Add the account you will use to connect to that Access Level
Once these steps are done, you can continue and configure the integration in TravelPerk.
Types of users in BambooHR
In BambooHR, there are 4 types of users for any account:
- Administrators: can view and edit everything.
- Managers: can view information from their direct and indirect reports (except for certain fields, like social security numbers and pay rates), but cannot edit that information.
- Employees: can only see a few things, like their own benefits and training information.
- Custom access: can see and edit information for some or all employees.
Ideally, you will use a custom access user for the integration, but you can also use an admin.
Configuring a new Access Level
- Go to BambooHR and sign in. Then, click on the Settings icon on the top right.
- In the left Settings menu, click on Access Levels.
- On the Levels submenu, click on the New Access Level button and select Custom Access Level.
- In the first step of the New Custom Access Level Wizard, Basic Info, enter a name (for example, "TravelPerkintegration") and a description. Once you are ready, click Next Step.
- On the second step What this Access Level Can Do, click on Next Step without changing anything.
- On the third step What this Access Level Can See, is where you need to make sure that this Access Level has access to the fields you have configured in the BambooHR TravelPerk integration.
- By default, we recommend allowing access to All fields in the Personal and Job tabs, but make sure you configure it based on your needs. To modify this, go to the All fields are set to No Access link and change it to View Only.
- Personal: Basic info (First Name, Last Name, Birthdate, Gender) is required, and some of the Contact information (like Phone) can be imported based on configuration.
- Job: Employment status helps understand which users should be active on TravelPerk.
- Once you are ready, click on Save Access Level.
Enabling Access to custom fields
To enable access to custom fields or tables you have in your BambooHR account, you can follow the same process.
Enabling company directory access to an Access Level
To provide access to the Company Directory for an existing access level, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Company Directory
- Make sure Company Directory is on, then from the Can be seen by dropdown, select the Access Level you want to provide access to.
- Make sure that Department, Division, Location, Manager, Mobile Phone, Work Email, Work Ext. and Work Phone are selected.
- Click on "Save Changes"
Adding a user to an Access Level
Now that you have a new Access Level created, it's time to assign it to the user account that will be used to configure the TravelPerk BambooHR integration
- Go to Settings > Access Levels and click on the Access Level you have just created. You will see that no users are assigned to it.
- Click on the Add Employees button, and add the people that will be part of this Access level, moving them to the Selected employees list on the right. Once you're ready, click on Save.
Now you're ready to enable your BambooHR TravelPerk Integration with a user that has this Access Level! For more information on setting up the BambooHR integration in TravelPerk, read this article: How to integrate BambooHR with TravelPerk